Established in 1922 by Benjamin Franklin Burdett and his son, Arthur, Brookwood Hills is one of Atlanta’s oldest neighborhoods and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Brookwood Hills is located north of Midtown in the southern portion of Buckhead, just off of Peachtree Street. Despite being close to some of the city’s busiest areas, Brookwood Hills enjoys a tranquil atmosphere more reminiscent of days gone by than of the fast-paced world of today. This environment can be attributed in large part to the fact that thru-traffic is naturally eliminated by the layout of the streets: the neighborhood has three entrances on Peachtree Road and no other outlet.
The district’s streets, built to accommodate its hilly terrain, do not follow the standard grid pattern that was popular at the time; instead, they take on a curvilinear, winding form. The streets are flanked with towering oaks, which Burdett planted in the 1920’s at the neighborhood’s founding and which have become its trademark.
In terms of architecture, Classical Revival, Tudor Revival, and Georgian styles dominate.
Brookwood Hills is a very close-knit community. Residents often join The Brookwood Hills Community Club, responsible for the neighborhood-owned swimming pool, park, and tennis facility, and which sponsors a number of events throughout the year, including a Fourth of July parade and annual Easter egg hunt.
Children in Brookwood Hills attend E. Rivers Elementary School, Sutton Middle School, and North Atlanta High School or one of the area’s private schools.